The other day I was asked,
What interface should we use for the vPC peer-keepalive link?
In fact this is a good question, considering the fact you wouldnt want to burn a SFP port just for the peer keepalive.
After a short amount of digging, the answer was found within Cisco's - Best Practices for Virtual Port Channels (vPC).
When building a vPC peer-keepalive link, use the following in descending order of preference:
- Dedicated link(s) (1-Gigabit Ethernet port is enough) configured as L3. Port-channel with 2 X 1G port is even better.
- Mgmt0 interface (along with management traffic)
- As a last resort, route the peer-keepalive link over the Layer 3 infrastructure
- Full deep-dive course library (inc. Batfish, pyATS, Netmiko)
- Code repositories inc. full course code, scripts and examples
- 24x7 Multi-vendor labs (Arista, Cisco, Juniper)
- Private online community
- Monthly online meetups
- Monthly guest speakers
100% Satisfaction Guaranteed!
Cancel your membership at any time.
FREE Network Automation Tips
The latest network automation tips, delivered weekly!
You've successfully subscribed to Packet Coders.
Success! Your account is fully activated, you now have access to all content.
Welcome back! You've successfully signed in.
Nearly there! To activate your account, please click the link in the email we just sent you.